As you walk along the road of life, it’s surprising how loneliness can sneak up on you. Out of the blue, the sudden loss of, or separation from, someone you care deeply about, can leave you stranded on the roadside feeling alone and bereft. However, right now it’s possible to beat loneliness and again experience the joy of companionship that’s good for your health.
KEEP WALKING THE PATHWAY OF LIFE.
When loneliness strikes, the tendency is to shut one’s self away and temporarily stop living life to the full. The answer to such sadness and isolation, is to get out and keep walking along the pathway of life. It’s possible to do this and engage with others again. A friend who lives alone did just this. One day she visited a new café and sat down at a long bench table. To her surprise, several other women soon joined her. They told her they came at that time every week. She was invited to join them for coffee and pleasant conversation. Her decision to keep walking the pathway of life has led to a happy weekly outing and the companionship of new friends.
FOUR TIPS TO BEAT LONELINESS
– Have courage to leave the house. Take yourself to a café for example. Engage staff in small talk for 30 seconds. Don’t sit in silence. Even at the supermarket check-out you can speak up. Thank others for their good service. Such conversation will lift your spirits, and your kind comments will make someone’s day.
– Never think of your life as being an empty space. It isn’t. “Would existence without personal friends be to you a blank? Then the time will come when you will be solitary, left without sympathy; but this seeming vacuum is already filled with divine Love.” Mary Baker Eddy. Science and Health p.266
– Get motivated. Energize your enthusiasm for life. Remind yourself that you are an ‘I-am’ friendly, sociable person. You can beat loneliness. There is a divine Helper that gives you the courage, determination and confidence to be companioned, befriended, happy and healthy. You can say about this empowering Helper, “You make known to me the path of life. In your presence is fullness of joy. In your right hand there are pleasures forevermore.” Bible. Psalm 16:11
– Put on your life-walking shoes and be an outgoing, cheerful giver. Share your recipes or lemons from your tree with neighbors, work colleagues, other parents or grandparents. Everyone loves someone who gladly gives of their good ideas or bounty. So open your heart, and get ready to happily reach out to others around you. Right now you can enjoy walking the pathway of life and beat loneliness.
Beverly Goldsmith writes on the connection between spirituality and health and is an experienced Christian Science practitioner and teacher.
– This article is published on Motherpedia. Read more from Beverly on Motherpedia…
– Also published in the NOVEMBER 2018 edition of Around Point Cook Community newspaper in print and online via Issuu.